Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Long time, no see...('King of The Road' hot sauce recipe)

     It's been a minute and, for that, I apologize. Let me fill you in on a few things that have been going on since I last published an article. First, I'm proud to announce that my pop-up, Five Bones, is off and running. The most recent event I did, $1 taco night, was a major success. Not sure if I had mentioned this ever but I actually work at a bar/venue and a BBQ joint, both of which are in Ferndale, Michigan  (The Loving Touch and Zeke's). Hopefully, I will get a couple of days to myself in the next week or so and will have something to put out there for your consumption!


     In the meantime, please enjoy this recipe for a great hot sauce...

King Of The Road (dedicated to Fu Manchu, one of my favorite bands)

Things you need:

  • Mason Jar (10-16 ounce)
  • 3 habanero peppers (chopped, seeds in)
  • olive oil
  • pan (to saute peppers and garlic)
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 3 slices of onion (about as wide as your thumb nail)
  • salt
  • fresh cracked black peppercorn
  • pinch of cinnamon
  • mango
  • 2 tablespoons of honey
  • a decent sized pot
  • stove
  • blender
  • wooden spoon to stir
  • stove (of course)



  1. In a skillet or pan, heat about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add peppers, onion, and garlic. Stir ingredients over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Cooking these ingredients adds a lot of flavor.
  2. Cut open mango, remove pit. How much mango you add is up to you but, per the heat of the habanero peppers, I tend to add 3/4ths of the entire mango and eat the rest.
  3. In a blender, add mango and the veggies you just had in the pan or skillet. While blending, add 2/3rds of a teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon on the black peppercorn, a pinch of cinnamon, and honey to the mixture. Blend for roughly 6 minutes total.
  4. Pour mixture into mason jar and store in fridge. To really bring out the heat, let it sit for at least 12 hours. 
     *Goes well with pork or soyrizo tacos!

No comments:

Post a Comment