Monday, May 30, 2016

Reverend Bob's Smokehouse

There has been a surge in homemade sauces (hot and otherwise) in my circle of friends. While we are all a little competitive (mostly with otherselves and not one another), we're all interested in helping one another out by sharing tips and tricks. Most of us are learning by the seat of our pants while other have been at it for some time. In the realm of hot sauces, some people have a tendency to go for heat while others go for complex flavors. One dear friend of mine, Bob Baldwin, is onto something truly special. Bob has taken simple ingredients (some of which he grew) and made other worldly sauce that has 0 paralell…at least here in Michigan anyways but I'm willing to admit this stuff could rank amongst the best hot sauces from around North America. Bob was kind enough to take time out of creating pure gold sauce and harvesting hot pepper seeds to answer a few questions about what he's up to and what's next for Reverend Bob's Smokehouse. 



What made you get into making sauces?
I had a bunch of jalapeƱos in the fridge that we're going to go bad so I thought smoking them and blending them into a sauce so they didn't go to waste. It was close to holiday time so I figured I could give it as gifts to friends. Those friends liked it so much that I decided to sell a few jars at a holiday market at Corktown Tavern. It was a hit so I decided to give it a go as a small business.


How key is the smoker in making sauce?
The smoker just adds a lot of flavor and acts as a natural preservative. Who doesn't like smoked stuff? The smoker I am using belonged to my brother who passed away so I am calling the jalapeƱo sauce Eddies blend.


I really like the serrano sauce. Could you tell me a little bit about the process?
That blend was a prototype but it got good reviews on the first run that I will be making more soon. My buddy Doop really digs Serrano so I wanted to make this one for him. He was a big help when my dad was in hospice so this is a little thanks to him. I might call it outlaw blend. The process is pretty straight forward. Smoke chilies and carrots, run them through a food processor, add water, vinegar, celery seed, salt and orange juice.


Who is Skelly?
Skelly is my better half. My source of endless smiles and laughter. I got her when I lived in Milwaukee away from friends and family and she kept me entertained and sane. She is my companion so often that if I go out without her I get dirty looks for not bringing her with me.

What other flavors are on the horizon?

It will be a while before I get into another blend but I have some ideas involving roasted red pepper, tomato and lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment